Educational testing services include a range of assessments, consultation, and support designed to help your child or older students achieve academic success.
Spencer Psychology has school psychologists on staff trained to identify issues that impact learning and school behavior, like learning disabilities, IQ, ADHD, memory and focus problems, and general academic achievement levels. We can currently offer Educational Testing Services to individuals ages 5 through adult.
Our doctors will identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, and guide you with designing an academic plan.
- This can include information for the school for IEPs (Individualized Education Plans), 504 plans and other accommodations and special education services.
- Click here to learn about IEPs https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/ieps/understanding-individualized-education-programs
- Click here to learn about 504 plans https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/504-plan/understanding-504-plans
All services will generate a written report for you.
Many parents are unsure what services their child might need and what options might be available through the schools.
- You can schedule a consultation with one of our doctors to discuss the issues your child has, your concerns, and have the doctor read through any reports or testing that might have already been completed.
- The doctor can give you some expert advice on navigating the complex world of academic testing, and special education needs.
- A consultation gives you the next steps in terms of what options you might consider to further help your child, without incurring the higher cost of a full evaluation or testing sessions.
- The consultation session yields a short written summary of these options for you to consider.
Types of Evaluations
Psychoeducational evaluations are offered to assess the reasons why a child or adolescent is struggling in school, identify interventions to help them succeed, and make recommendations for special education eligibility.
The evaluation process:
- Specific testing is selected after discussion with the parent about which issues are of concern
- Parent and child interviews, teacher information, developmental history and other data is also collected.
- You will receive a detailed and understandable report.
- All evaluations include a feedback session with the doctor to go over the results and answer any questions you may have about the testing or next steps for helping your child.
Learning Disabilities Evaluations
Learning Disability Evaluations are offered to determine if a learning disability is the reason a child or adolescent may be achieving below their expected academic level in one or more areas. This evaluation is available for both children and adults. We can currently offer Learning Disability Evaluations to individuals ages 5 through adult. This evaluation meets the requirements of The Office of Disability Services at Indiana University.
Learning Disabilities evaluations include:
- Specific formal testing, based on the individualized concerns
- Interview and history
- A clear diagnosis
- Practical recommendations for home and school-based supports
- A formal written report for you and the school
- A feedback session to discuss results and answer questions
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Evaluations
ADHD Evaluations are offered when issues of inattention, impaired concentration, hyperactivity, and impulsivity are interfering with a young person’s learning, relationships and daily functioning. Testing will yield a definitive diagnosis, and can also indicate if a learning disability is present. This evaluation is available for both children and adults. We can currently offer ADHD Evaluations to individuals ages 5 through adult. This evaluation meets the requirements of The Office of Disability Services at Indiana University.
ADHD evaluations include:
- Interview and history
- Intelligence or aptitude testing
- Achievement testing
- Memory and attention testing
- Executive functioning assessment (problem solving methods, frustration levels, restlessness, and distractibility)
- Academic history, including strengths and weaknesses
- Strategies to address learning and general day to day functioning
- A medication referral if needed can be discussed (Spencer Psychology does not prescribe but can help your child access a medication management option)
- Parents or older students will receive a feedback session with the doctor to discuss results
- The assessment will also generate a written report
Kindergarten Readiness Evaluations
Kindergarten readiness evaluations are offered to help parents determine whether their child is developmentally ready to begin kindergarten, and whether their child may need additional support in the classroom.
- The evaluation includes specialized testing focused on specific skills children need prior to starting kindergarten.
- A parent and a child interview are also included to assess developmental and emotional readiness for school.
Your insurance may cover portions of the assessments, but does not cover all of the testing needed for educational assessments as it does not meet the criteria for medical necessity.
- A consultation is $200, and generally takes 60-90 minutes. The fee includes the short written summary of the meeting for your records and for the school.
- Testing and evaluation fees vary, depending on the type of issue being assessed and how much testing is needed. A full battery of tests is generally $1800 (minus whatever your insurance will cover).
- Kindergarten Readiness evaluations are $475.
Once an estimate has been given for your particular need, a retainer for the full amount will be requested before scheduling. Any amount covered by insurance is refunded to you.
If you would like more information, or would like to schedule an evaluation, please fill out the contact form and indicate what service you would like. Our staff will contact you to answer any questions, gather additional information about what you need, and give you an estimate of the cost if you are doing testing. You can also call or email us for more information.